In This Article
Why Do Ayurvedic Body Types Matter?
Body types are the building blocks for diagnosis, treatment, and maintenance of health.
The three body types are reflections of qualities of nature. They give insight not just into the tendencies of our bodies, but of our mental, emotional, and behavioral characteristics, as well. Knowing your body type is the first and most critical step you can take to gain control of your health.
Once you understand yourself, you can guide your life towards the lifestyle and diet that makes sense for you.
Don’t settle for knowing you are a vata, or even a vata-pitta; you’re a multi-layered person with strengths and various dosha compositions in all different aspects of your life.
Understanding yourself is key to your ability to handle stress, interact with others, and develop unprecedented harmony in your life. Take the Ayurvedic Body Type Dosha Quiz for more information.
What are the Three Doshas?
- Vata: the dry, light, winter dosha. Learn more about vata here.
- Pitta: the hot, wet, summer dosha. Learn more about pitta here.
- Kapha: the cold, wet, spring dosha. Learn more about kapha here.
What are Each Dosha’s Qualities?
According to Ayurvedic medicine, prevention is dictated by the unique requirements of your body type. Because we are unique, what we eat, how we exercise, when we sleep, and even where we prefer to live will be different from one person to the next. The healthiest practices for each individual are better understood by knowing one’s body type.
Below are the three doshas and their associated imbalances. Notice if any of the symptoms jump out at you. Look into pacifying that dosha to become more balanced in all three.
|Vata Dosha||Pitta Dosha||Kapha Dosha|
|Air + Ether||Fire + Water||Earth + Water|
|Constipation||Inflammatory skin conditions (including acne)||Slow digestion|
|Intolerance of cold||Controlling, manipulative behavior||Obesity|
|Underweight or losing weight||Excessive body heat||Skin growths|
|Anxiety, worry, restlessness||Hostility, irritability||Possessiveness, neediness|
|Excessive competitive drive||Apathy|
|Difficulty paying attention|
Quiz: Ayurvedic Body Type
Want to learn more about doshas? Here are some articles + resources:
- Ayurvedic Guide to Your Child’s Body Type (Dosha Quiz): Do you have the user’s manual to your child? By learning about their dosha, you can gain valuable information about what will support them and what to watch out for.
- Winter Grocery List: Vata-Pacifying Diet: How should we eat in the winter or if we’re a vata? Find out here.
- Summer Grocery List: Pitta-Pacifying Diet: How should we eat in the summer or if we’re a pitta? Find out here.
- Spring Grocery List: Kapha-Pacifying Diet: How should we eat in the spring or if we’re a kapha? Find out here.
- The 3-Season Diet: Dr. John’s manifesto on how to eat all year long.
- The 3-Season Diet Guide: Free monthly guidance in your inbox on eating with the changing qualities of nature.