This recipe is not for the faint of appetite. Yams do not have the dry quality of squash and are purely sweet, warming, and building—a good choice when they are in season. Eat them in moderation if you are trying to lose weight, however. Make a quick dinner by putting yams in the oven right when you get home from work. Take some time to relax or unpack the day’s bag while they cook. You may interchange sweet potatoes and yams.
- 2 medium yams
- 2 tsp ghee, coconut oil, maple syrup, and/or almond butter
- Cinnamon to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Poke each yam with a fork a few times.
- Place on a baking sheet or in a baking dish and bake until the yams are completely cooked through, about 30 minutes or more, depending on how fat the yams are.
- Pierce the skin with a fork to see if the flesh inside is soft, and when it is, remove yams from oven and cut an X in the tops. Peel back the skin and press the sides of each yam to create a hollow pool.
- To serve, fill each pool with 1 tsp each ghee, coconut oil, maple syrup, and/or almond butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste. Tahini is also delicious to dress a savory bomb.
- Eat with a steak knife and fork.