Vata is the most important of the three doshas. If left unbalanced, it causes pitta and kapha to become imbalanced.
To Balance Vata
- Start your day with 1-2 capsules of Ashwagandha and Turmeric Plus. Children over 4 take 1 of each. Watch the video: lifespa.com/herbs.
- Follow a regular rhythm of sleep, exercise, mealtimes and rest.
- Take 3-5000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily. Use our home test kit to test levels before use.
- 80% of the body’s immunity is in the digestion. Take our Digestive Health Quiz to boost immunity: lifespa.com/digestivequiz.
- Sleep with a humidifier to keep your sinuses clear.
Daily Routines (Dinacharya) for Vata
- Self-massage with warm Tri-Doshic Massage Oil or Lymphatic Massage Oil. >>>Learn how to do daily self-massage to balance your nervous system and detox your lymphatic system.
- Practice my One-Minute Meditation up to ten times per day to help cope with stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Lubricate and protect dry sinuses by performing Neti (gentle saline irrigation), followed by Nasya (oil): lifespa.com/neti
- Massage ears with Lymphatic Massage Oil.
- At the end of winter, follow one of our at-home cleanses to ensure a healthy spring: lifespa.com/cleansing.
Signs of Excess Vata
- Sleep or mood imbalances, occasional constipation, mild achiness.
- If you experience some of these signs, schedule an Ayurvedic consult and follow the above tips.
WINTER GROCERY LIST
Vata is the main driver or mover of the body, providing the following functions:
- All eliminations: fetus, semen, feces, urine, and sweat.
- Assists with metabolisms in the body (Agni), transformation of tissues.
- Controls movement in body (mental and physical) such as respiration, heartbeat, motivation, contraction of muscles, and natural urges.
- Relays all sensory input to the brain, motor functions.
- Governs nervous system.
Body Type Characteristics
- Small frame, light and thin / hard to gain weight.
- Course, dry, kinky or curly hair.
- Dry, rough, darker skin.
- Small eyes, whites of eyes are blue or brown.
- Very large / small teeth, crooked or shaded.
- Performs activity quickly, can’t stay idle, quick walking pace.
- Low strength and endurance.
- Quick minded, restless, learns fast / forgets fast, high pitch / fast voice.
- Moods change quickly, tendency to worry, easily excitable, easily stressed.
- Irregular hunger / digestion, tendency towards constipation.
- Aversion to cold weather.
- Prefers warm food / drink and eats quickly.
- Spends money quickly / doesn’t save.
- Variable, irregular sex drive.
- Light interrupted sleep, dreams are fearful, flying, jumping and running.
Vata: Cold, Dry, Light
- Elements: Air and Ether
- Season: Fall/Winter
- Times of Day: 2am – 6am and 2pm – 6pm
- Taste/Qualities (+): Pungent, Bitter, Astringent/Light, Cold, Dry These are the qualities of Vata. To decrease Vata, use LESS of these qualities in food, beverage and environment. For instance, eating salad (light, cold) will increase Vata.
- Taste/Qualities (-): Sweet, Sour, Salty / Heavy, Oily, Hot To increase and balance excess Vata, use more of these qualities in food, beverage and environment, such as savory squash soup and hot herbal tea.
- Best Oils: Sesame, Almond, Apricot