According to the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), about 30% of all common cancers can be prevented with a healthy diet. Use these ten recommendations to protect your cells.
The WCRF did a comprehensive report evaluating over 7000 studies on cancer and condensed them into 10 Recommendations for Cancer Prevention. Here they are:
1. Maintain a healthy weight – Be as lean as possible without becoming underweight.
2. Physical Activity – Be active for 30 minutes every day.
3. Energy Density – Avoid sugary drinks. Limit consumption of energy-dense foods (particularly processed foods high in added sugar, low in fiber, or high in fat).
4. Plant Foods – Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, pulses and beans.
5. Meat – Limit consumption of red meats such as beef, pork and lamb and processed lunch meats.
6. Alcohol – If consumed at all, limit alcohol to two drinks a day for men and one drink a day for women.
7. Salt – Limit consumption of salty foods and foods processed with salt (sodium).
8. Supplements – Don’t use supplements to prevent cancer. Overdoing supplements may disturb the body’s balance.
Note: This is why, at LifeSpa, for everyday use we stick with whole herbs rather than herbal extracts and complex supplements.
9. Breastfeeding – It is best for mothers to breastfeed exclusively for up to six months and then add other liquids and foods.
10. Smoking – Do not smoke or chew tobacco.