Recipe used with permission from The Kitchen Ecosystem by Eugenia Bone
You need firm, very fresh zucchini for this dish, which makes a lovely salad or side.
- 2 zucchini (6-8 inches long), stem end removed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (see Note)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (I prefer French; it’s less salty)
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
Shave the zucchini lengthwise on a mandoline or cut as thin as you can. You can press down hard with a vegetable peeler to get the ribbons as well. Place on a platter and add olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Toss carefully. Let the zucchini marinate for about 15 minutes, but no more than 20 minutes or the dish will become soggy.
Break the onion up into rings and sprinkle over the zucchini. Sprinkle with the feta, parsley, and pepper and serve.
Note: If you used a mandoline for the zucchini, you can slice the red onion on it too, but do not slice paper thin or the onion will have a hairy mouthfeel.