Wherever there is transformation, there is Pitta. Pitta provides the following functions:
- Metabolism, from digestion of food to transformation of all other material.
- Thermogenesis – maintains the proper body temperature.
- Comprehension of information into knowledge / reasoning and judgment.
- Complexion – gives color and softness to skin.
Pitta: Hot, Moist (Oily), Light
Fire and Water
Spring / Summer
Times of Day
10pm – 2am and 10am – 2pm
Pungent, Sour, Salty / Hot Light, Dry
These are the qualities of Pitta. To decrease Pitta, use less of these qualities in food, beverage and environment. For instance, chips and salsa (pungent, salty, dry) will increase Pitta.
Sweet, Bitter, Astringent / Cold, Heavy, Oily
To increase and balance excess Pitta, use more of these qualities in food, beverage and environment.
Sesame, Coconut, Sunflower
- Medium frame, medium weight.
- Thin, lustrous hair with fine curls.
- Soft, medium oily, pink to red skin.
- Penetrating eyes, whites of eyes are yellow or red.
- Small to medium yellowish teeth.
- Average walking pace, competitive.
- Good strength and endurance.
- Sharp intellect, aggressive, good general memory, medium pitch / clear voice.
- Slow changing moods, angers easily, quick temper, likes things to be orderly.
- Sharp hunger, can’t miss a meal, good digestion, normal elimination.
- Aversion to dry and hot weather.
- Prefers cold food / drink and eats at an easy pace.
- Saves money, but is a big spender.
- Moderate sex drive.
- Sound, medium length sleep, dreams are fiery, violent and angry.