Kapha is the heaviest of the three doshas. It provides the structures and the lubrication that the body needs.
To Balance Kapha:
- During spring, eat more foods from the Spring Grocery list (link below).
- Eat more foods that are Pungent (Spicy), Bitter, Astringent / Light, Dry, Warm: such as flavorful steamed veggies, brothy soups, brown rice.
- Eat less foods that are Sweet, Sour, Salty / Heavy, Cold, Oily: such as fried foods, ice cream, heavy dairy.
- Follow our Short Home Cleanse for a simple but thorough 4-day cleanse.
- For 6 weeks, take 500 mg of Manjistha, Turmeric Plus and Tulsi twice per day to cleanse your lymphatic system,
heal your digestion, boost immunity and nourish your nervous system.
- Tired? Schedule an Ayurvedic Consult to treat the root cause of your fatigue, which is different for each person.
Daily Routines (Dinacharya) for Kapha:
- Self-massage with warm Lymphatic Massage Oil or raw sesame oil.
- Three or more times per day practice Bellows Breath: breathe quickly and with strength in and out through your nose for 30 seconds while expanding and contracting your diaphragm. Sit in silence for 1 minute.
- Exercise in the morning to increase circulation, mood and immunity.
- Perform Neti by irrigating your nasal passage with warm salt water. Always follow with Nasya.
- Perform Nasya by dipping a q-tip in warm Tri-Doshic Massage Oil or warm sesame oil, swirling it inside your nostrils, and inhaling deeply.
Signs of Excess Kapha
- Cold, cough, allergies, congestion, flu, fatigue, depression, weight gain.
- If you experience some of these signs, schedule a consult with Dr. Douillard and follow the above guidelines.
Kapha provides the following functions:
- Strength and energy.
- Moistness and lubrication.
- Stability to add the necessary grounding aspect to both mind and body.
- Mass and structure to provide fullness to bodily tissues.
- Fertility and virility.
Body Type Characteristics
- Large frame, heavy, easy to gain weight.
- Thick, straight / wavy, oily hair.
- Oily, moist, pale, white skin.
- Large eyes, whites of eyes are glossy and white.
- Medium to large, white and strong teeth.
- Slow and steady walking pace.
- Excellent strength and endurance.
- Calm, steady disposition, long term memory, low pitch / resonating voice.
- Steady non-changing moods, slow to get irritated, very understanding, easy-going.
- Can miss a meal easily, digestion can be a little slow; elimination is heavy, slow, thick and regular.
- Aversion to damp and cold weather.
- Prefers dry food and eats slowly.
- Saves money regularly and accumulates wealth.
- Strong sex drive.
- Sound, heavy and long sleep, dreams of water, clouds and romance.
Kapha: Cold, Moist (Oily), Heavy
Elements: Water and Earth
Season: Winter / Spring
Times of Day: 6am – 10am and 6pm – 10pm
Taste/Qualities (+): Sweet Sour, Salty / Heavy, Oily, Cold
These are the qualities of Kapha. To decrease Kapha, use less of these qualities in food, beverage and environment. For instance, eating ice cream (heavy, cold, sweet), will increase Kapha.
Taste/Qualities (-): Pungent, Bitter, Astringent / Light, Dry, Hot
To increase and balance excess Kapha, use more of these qualities in food, beverage and environment.
Best Oils: Sesame, Olive