Kapha is the heaviest of the three doshas. It provides the structures and lubrication the body needs.
To Balance Kapha
- During spring, eat more foods from the Spring Grocery list.
- Eat more foods that are Pungent (Spicy), Bitter, Astringent / Light, Dry, Warm: such as flavorful steamed veggies, brothy soups, brown rice.
- Eat less foods that are Sweet, Sour, Salty / Heavy, Cold, Oily: such as fried foods, ice cream, heavy dairy.
- Follow our Short Home Cleanse for a simple but thorough 4-day cleanse.
- For 6 weeks, take 500 mg of Manjistha, Turmeric Plus and Tulsi twice per day to cleanse your lymphatic system, heal your digestion, boost immunity, and nourish your nervous system.
- Tired? Schedule an Ayurvedic Consult to treat the root cause of your fatigue, which is different for each person.
Daily Routines (Dinacharya) for Kapha
- Self-massage with warm Lymphatic Massage Oil or raw sesame oil.
- Three or more times per day, practice Bellows Breath: breathe quickly and with strength in and out through your nose for 30 seconds while expanding and contracting your diaphragm. Sit in silence for 1 minute.
- Exercise in the morning to increase circulation, mood, and immunity.
- Perform Neti by irrigating your nasal passage with warm salt water. Always follow with Nasya.
- Perform Nasya by dipping a q-tip in warm Tri-Doshic Massage Oil or warm sesame oil, swirling it inside your nostrils, and inhaling deeply.
Signs of Excess Kapha
- Cold, cough, allergies, congestion, flu, fatigue, depression, weight gain.
- If you experience some of these signs, schedule a consult with Dr. Douillard and follow the above guidelines.
- Strength and energy.
- Moistness and lubrication.
- Stability to add the necessary grounding aspect to both mind and body.
- Mass and structure to provide fullness to bodily tissues.
- Fertility and virility.
Body Type Characteristics
- Large frame, heavy, easy to gain weight.
- Thick, straight / wavy, oily hair.
- Oily, moist, pale, white skin.
- Large eyes, whites of eyes are glossy and white.
- Medium to large, white and strong teeth.
- Slow and steady walking pace.
- Excellent strength and endurance.
- Calm, steady disposition, long-term memory, low pitch / resonating voice.
- Steady non-changing moods, slow to get irritated, very understanding, easy-going.
- Can miss a meal easily, digestion can be a little slow; elimination is heavy, slow, thick, and regular.
- Aversion to damp and cold weather.
- Prefers dry food and eats slowly.
- Saves money regularly and accumulates wealth.
- Strong sex drive.
- Sound, heavy and long sleep, dreams of water, clouds, and romance.
Kapha: Cold, Moist (Oily), Heavy
- Elements: Water and Earth
- Season: Winter / Spring
- Times of Day: 6am – 10am and 6pm – 10pm
- Taste/Qualities (+): Sweet Sour, Salty / Heavy, Oily, Cold. To decrease Kapha, use less of these qualities in food, beverage and environment. For instance, eating ice cream (heavy, cold, sweet), will increase Kapha.
- Taste/Qualities (-): Pungent, Bitter, Astringent / Light, Dry, Hot. To increase and balance excess Kapha, use more of these qualities in food, beverage, and environment.
- Best Oils: Sesame, Olive