In This Article
The Benefits of Nasya
According to Ayurveda, the delicate skin of the nasal passages and the Eustachian tubes of the ears require lubrication to stay healthy, balanced and protected in the colder months.
Traditionally, a saline or salt water solution was used during neti to flush the sinuses. Salt water is very drying to the skin and will dehydrate the delicate nasal mucosa if not followed with lubricating nasya.
Dry sinuses are easily irritated by pollutants, pollens and dry air. After performing neti, always follow it with nasya. While neti offers powerful support for sinuses, the therapy wasn’t traditionally considered complete until nasya was also performed.
Nasya Herbalized Oil Therapy
Administering nasya is aimed at lubricating the sensitive tissues of the nasal cavity, so that they are less reactive to dryness and airborne irritants. The result is a more complete therapy that won’t create a dependency on either one.
Nasya Therapy Procedure
Nasya is a simple procedure where 3-5 drops of an herbalized oil, usually sesame or olive oil, is applied into the nostrils and sniffed. This lubricates the nasal mucosa, leaving them cleansed by the neti and lubricated by the nasya.
- Nasya is best done immediately after neti.
- Use a properly prepared oil, which is made by slowly cooking lubricating and soothing herbs into the oil.
- Warm the oil by putting oil in the dropper and holding it under hot water until it is just above body temperature (test temperature on forearm). You can also warm the whole bottle in a cup of hot water.
- Tip your head back as far as possible and exhale fully. If you like, you can lay on the edge of a bed or sofa. Drop 3-5 drops of oil into each nostril and sniff deeply. Start with 3 drops and increase if comfortable.
- Use daily for two weeks after neti and as needed afterward.
- Nasya is best done on an empty stomach.
- It is best not to do nasya before bed to prevent dripping into the larynx.
- It is normal to taste the oil in the back of the mouth or to have some oil drip out of your nose for a minute or two afterward.
In addition to happy sinuses, nasya has some unexpected benefits like greater clarity of mind and a calmer nervous system.
- Have Dr. Douillard design an herbal program for you with a phone consultation.
- Get started healing with the 28-Day Ayurveda Challenge eCourse
- Shop by Health Topics in the LifeSpa Store
Ayurvedic Nasya Oil
LifeSpa’s Nasya Oil is a USDA certified organic blend of Ayurvedic herbs and oils traditionally used to lubricate and cleanse the nasal passages. Regular sinus care supports the cleaning of brain and CNS lymphatics as well. Following neti (salt water irrigation) with nasya (herbalized nasal oil therapy) is a powerful tradition.
Neti Pot for Nasal Cleansing: The precursor to Nasya, Neti is a system of nasal irrigation, or cleansing, that helps keep the nasal passages free of dust, pollen, and other irritants from the air. LifeSpa’s ceramic model is chosen by most people as their primary nasal cleansing pot for use at home.
Neti Salt: The Neti method uses a saline solution of water and salt to irrigate and cleanse the nasal passages. This Nasal Cleansing Salt may be used with any brand of nasal cleansing pot or a nasal saline rinse squeeze bottle.