Innovation Outpaces Regulation
Have you noticed that our world is becoming ever more interconnected? Through our technology, wires, signals, and waves connect us all. See how many wireless networks your device is picking up on right now and think about how much radiation it takes to deliver those signals.
Are you concerned about 5G, Wi-Fi, and EMF radiation?
In America, innovation often outpaces regulation. In many cases, the public ultimately pays the price. Vaping and e-cigarettes, for example, hit the market long before the research was done that revealed significant health risks.
Cell phone and Wi-Fi exposure have long been the subject of a heated debate as to whether chronic electromagnetic field (EMF) exposure is a health risk or not. Today, there is compelling evidence that chronic EMF exposure is harmful, while tech-communication companies lobby government agencies to the contrary. Once again, evidence-based regulation lags behind innovation.2-4
While this discussion has been relevant for decades now, it is much more relevant today, with release of 5G and Elon Musk’s imminent launch of over 12,000 satellites approved to deliver Wi-Fi technology to every home in the world from space.1 If you thought 5G was too much, buckle your seatbelt. Wi-Fi from space, called Starlink, is coming soon.
So what can we do to protect ourselves? Read on to learn about Ayurvedic herbal support that may help protect us from rising EMF exposure.
Dangers of EMF
- Over 240 scientists published an appeal to reduce public EMF exposure, while calling for a moratorium on 5G, citing adverse biological effects.4
- A 2018 study concluded that EMF radiation is carcinogenic to humans.4
- The US National Toxicology Program Study on Cell Phone Radiation found “clear evidence” of cancer, heart damage, and DNA damage in a $30-million study designed to test the basis for EMF federal safety limits (NIEHS).4
- In a 2010 study, researchers stated, “our results show that electromagnetic fields obviously enhance the growth of tumors”4
- Scientific simulations show increases in absorbed power between 3%-370% when insects are exposed to electromagnetic frequencies.4
- A review of 113 studies found that EMFs had a significant effect on birds, insects, and other organisms and plants in 70% of studies.4
- People living near cell towers show a link between EMF exposure and DNA damage, oxidation damage, elevated diabetes, headaches, sleep problems, permeability of the blood-brain barrier, and reproductive health concerns.4
- Studies find EMF exposure can interfere with biochemical reactions by overproducing reactive oxygen species (ROS), compromising antioxidant function, and increasing free radical production and damage.2-4
- Studies find EMF exposure can cause neurologic, neuro-hormonal, and neuro-psychiatric symptoms as a consequence of neural damage and over-sensitized neural responses.2,3
- One study demonstrates EMF heat can damage proteins in the thymus gland, compromising immune function.5
- In a Journal of American Medicine Study, EMF exposure has been shown to increase brain glucose metabolism after a 50-minute phone call.6
How Plants May Offer EMF Protection
Perhaps the most documented mechanism for EMF health-related injury is increased production of ROS or reactive oxygen species. ROS compromise the body’s naturally antioxidant response, accelerating free radical damage at a cellular level, while also damaging our DNA.2-6
Tulsi Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum), is a well-studied adaptogen shown to support the body’s natural antioxidant activity. Tulsi contains many bioactive antioxidative constituents, including eugenol, usolic acid, rosmarinic acid, apigenin, luteolin, β-sitosterol, and carnosic acid, all of which demonstrated anti-radiation, DNA-protective, anti-stress, antioxidant activity, including protection against lipid peroxidation.7
Note: LifeSpa’s Tulsi Holy Basil combines the organic whole leaf with a critical extract of the leaf to capture the highly volatile eugenol and usolic acid that provide a significant portion of the bioactive antioxidant, which a tea would not capture.
Read all my articles on Tulsi Holy Basil.
Ashwaghanda (Withania somnifera) is perhaps the world’s most popular adaptogen and chemo-protective agent. It has been found to support the body’s natural antioxidant, immunomodulatory, and stress-fighting mechanisms.8
Read all my articles on ashwagandha.
Chyawanprash is one of Ayurveda’s most powerful anti-aging, anti-stress, anti-oxidant, and rejuvenating rasayanas. Rasayana is a branch of Ayurveda that deals with the study of longevity and rejuvenation. Chyawanprash is a 50-herb formula based around the amla fruit (amalaki), which is one of the highest sources of botanical vitamin C on the planet. Studies suggest the vitamin C content in amalaki LINK actually enhances the antioxidant properties of the other constituents of the chyawanprash formulation.
Learn more about chyawanprash.
Triphala is an Ayurvedic formulation that seems to offer an endless list of health benefits. Studies have repeatedly shown that triphala can help protect the body from radiation and chemical stress by reducing reactive oxygen species (ROS) that can be produced in excess from EMF exposure.2,3,10
Learn more about triphala.
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) may be the most famous Ayurvedic herb, also touting an endless resume of health benefits. One study, entitled The Indian Spice Turmeric Delays and Mitigates Radiation, has found turmeric to be a chemo-protective, radiation-protective, immune-boosting antioxidant, which supports the body’s natural response to curtailing damaging ROS production—aggravated by chronic EMF exposure.11
Read more about the benefits of turmeric.
For natural support against the growing levels of chronic EMF exposure, ashwagandha, tulsi holy basil, chyawanprsh, triphala, and turmeric are Ayurveda’s top protective botanicals.
How are you protecting yourself against 5G and EMF radiation?
This article was originally published in Elephant Journal.