This recipe is delicious and refreshing: I’ve never bought carrots without the greens since I discovered how to make this. Be sure you separate the greens as soon as you get them home, as they pull moisture out of the carrots.
MAKES ABOUT ½ CUP
- Greens from 1 medium bunch of carrots
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- Squirt of fresh lemon juice
- Pull feathery leaves off the stems. You should have about 2 loosely packed cups of leaves. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and drop in the carrot leaves. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes to blanch, then drain. The greens will reduce to about ½ cup.
- Transfer the greens to a food processor or blender and add the oil, pine nuts, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Blend to a puree.
- Refrigerate the pesto, preserve it in oil, or freeze.