This side dish is excellent with roasted poultry or as part of a vegetable platter.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 small fennel bulbs, cored and thickly sliced lengthwise
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rub bottom and sides of a medium roasting pan with the oil.
- Add fennel, onion, if using, stock, and seasoning.
- Cover with foil and bake for ~25 mins, or until the fennel is fork-tender.
- If there is liquid at the bottom of the pan, pour it off.
- Serve fennel garnished with Parmesan cheese or, if you’d like, sprinkle fennel with Parmesan cheese and pop it under the broiler for 3-4 mins, until cheese melts and begins to turn golden.
VARIATION: To make a one-pot entrée, brown pieces of chicken in the oven for ~20 mins, pour off chicken fat, then add the fennel, onion, stock, salt, and pepper (omit the Parmesan) and bake for an additional 25 minutes, until fennel is done.