Along with being the great detoxifier of the body, the liver also produces bile and enzymes, hormones and proteins. In fact, it has about 500 functions in the body, and most fascinating of all, the liver can perform these functions even when up to three-quarters of its cells are incapacitated.
The majority of the liver’s function is related to digestion, metabolism, immunity and the storage of nutrients within the body. As such, when the liver is not functioning well, this negatively affects the body’s energy and nutrient reserves.
Fascinatingly, the liver is the only organ in the human body that can regenerate itself. Should its integrity be compromised, it is capable of growing at great speed to regenerate its original size and function.
The Liver and Digestion
Ayurveda, being a system of medicine that places great central importance on the digestive process, is especially interested in the role of the liver in the digestive process. The most important aspect of this role is the production of bile, the substance responsible for:
- Breaking down fats in the body (without bile, you would regurgitate every time you ate a fatty food)
- Regulating the consistency of the stool (without bile, you might not eliminate for a week)
- Neutralizing stomach acid (without bile, the acid would sit in the stomach, potentially burning the delicate stomach lining)
- Taking toxic cholesterol from the liver to the intestines for removal
- Scrubbing the villi of the intestinal wall of damaging fat-soluble chemicals and taking them to the toilet for elimination, allowing good bugs to proliferate in the intestines
- Along with the pancreas, regulating blood sugar (if the liver is congested, it could secrete excess sugar into the bloodstream, raising blood sugar levels unnecessarily).
- Diet, toxicity levels and stress all make or break optimal liver function. A regular detox program, such as the Colorado Cleanse, along with a low-stress lifestyle and gentle diet can all ease the strain on the liver.
- Have Dr. Douillard design an herbal program for you with a phone consultation.
- Get started healing with the 28-Day Ayurveda Challenge eCourse
- Shop by Health Topics in the LifeSpa Store
Need Supplements? We can help!
Colorado Cleanse: The Colorado Cleanse is a 2-week detox and digestive reset program designed to cleanse and rejuvenate all the organ systems in the body, including the lymph, liver, kidneys, pancreas, and gallbladder. A nourishing, non-starvation detox program, the Colorado Cleanse is based on a traditional Ayurvedic oleation cleanse and is most effective and builds on its own benefits when done twice a year, in the transitional seasons.
Liver Repair is a proprietary blend of five herbs traditionally used to support liver cleansing and optimal liver health: Bhumyamalaki, Barberry, Turmeric, Amalaki, and Guduchi. These herbs support healthy detoxification pathways while simultaneously boosting the body’s natural ability to maintain healthy energy levels, promoting vitality and longevity.*
Chyawaprash is a classic Ayurvedic superfood with a supporting cast of over 40 organic herbs for anyone who needs support to avoid vata imbalances during seasonal changes and stressful life transitions. The base and key ingredient of this formula is Amalaki, or Indian Gooseberry, a powerful antioxidant fruit that is considered a superfood in India for its potent free radical-scavenging properties. Chyawanprash helps support the body’s natural ability to remove toxins or “ama” and boost “ojas” which, in Ayurveda, supports optimal vigor and vitality.
Beet Cleanse is an all-natural proprietary formula consisting of organic beetroot, organic fenugreek seed, organic cassia (cinnamon) bark and shilajit extract. It is designed to support the pancreatic and bile ducts and encourage the clearing of congested bile. It also supports digestive strength, healthy blood sugar, and lipid levels already within a normal range. Bile flow is critical to optimal health, digestion, fat burning, and detox. Beet Cleanse is designed to decongest bile ducts, increase bile flow and reset healthy fat metabolism in the body.*
Bile Flow HP is a specialized liver support formula that provides nutrients involved in fat metabolism, including choline, taurine, and methionine. Dandelion and celandine have been selected to support bile flow and healthy liver function. Guggul extract and inositol hexanicotinate are included to support healthy blood lipid levels already within the normal range.*