Unstable blood sugar can lead to fatigue, irritability, inability to focus, mild headaches, and light-headedness. Proper scheduling of meals can go a long way towards maintaining stable blood sugar. The biggest meal should be lunch, with supper being a light and early “supplemental” meal, such as a soup or salad.
When blood sugar goes up and down, the adrenals produce stress-fighting hormones which are degenerative and take a toll on all the tissues of the body.
When balancing blood sugar, the goal of our approach is to be able to go through the day with no cravings and have the same energy at the end of your day as when you started.
This is accomplished with proper seasonal diet, lifestyle, and exercise laid out in The 3-Season Diet and Body, Mind, and Sport books. But there’s more to blood sugar stability than just eating regularly.
Today, even health-conscious diets are loaded with hidden sugars, high glycemic loads, and processed foods, leaving many unaware of the cumulative impact that such difficult-to-digest foods have on our ability to balance blood sugar.
What Happens When Your Blood Sugar Crashes?
As common as they are, a blood sugar crash is actually a big stressor for the body and has a cascading, domino-like effect on all the body systems.
When under any kind of excessive stress – even stress due to too much exercise or a blood sugar crash – the body produces degenerative stress-fighting hormones that:
1. Cause the body to store fat, rather than burn it is a calm, stable source of detoxifying fuel.
2. Congest the lymph:
a.) Slow down a healthy immune response.
b.) Slow the body’s natural detox pathways
3. Trigger sugar cravings (sugar and carbs can be used by the body as fuel instead of fat, and the body can get accustomed to receiving its energy this way rather than burning its own fat).
4. Blood sugars are forced to spike and fall excessively during the cycles of crave/eat.
5. Pancreatic insulin and digestive enzyme production lag due to blood sugar stress.
6. Blood sugars rise elevating insulin, which stores fat.
7. Excessive toxic stress hormones are produced, such as cortisol, which also stores fat.
8. Fat storage accelerates, both during stress and as a response to stress recovery.
9. Excessive stress irritates intestinal mucosa, which compromises detoxification and nutrient fat metabolism. Reactive intestinal mucus causes bowel inflammation and Gut Associated Lymph Congestion.
10. Trillions of microbes, which support immunity and most bodily functions, are damaged by a stress response.
Maintaining healthy blood sugar is one of the core natural health missions at LifeSpa and key to optimal health. It requires a multi-pronged approach that includes learning how to monitor your own blood sugar, knowing the symptoms of unstable blood glucose levels, knowing not only what to eat but how to eat, exercise, and mitigate stress levels, which also take a toll on the blood sugar.
- Have Dr. Douillard design an herbal program for you with a phone consultation.
- Get started healing with the 28-Day Ayurveda Challenge eCourse
- Shop by Health Topics in the LifeSpa Store
Need Supplements? We can help!
Sugar Destroyer is a formula that has been used for thousands of years to support healthy blood sugar. Gymnema sylvestre, an Ayurvedic herb from the milkweed family that is locally known as Gurmar or “sweet destroyer” and the main ingredient of Sugar Destroyer, dulls the ability of the taste buds to recognize the sweet taste, which may naturally decrease the desire for sweets. It also dulls the intestinal tract from absorbing simple sugars, which may encourage the body to use fat instead of sugar as a fuel supply. Sugar Destroyer also supports pancreatic health.
Sugar Balance HP features significant quantities of key ingredients that support insulin utilization and glucose metabolism. CinSulin® is a safe, patented, 100% water-soluble, 10:1 concentrated form of cinnamon that provides polyphenol polymers. Standardized American ginseng, green tea, gymnema, and alpha-lipoic acid help protect pancreatic cells, support insulin sensitivity, and provide antioxidant activity. Chromium is added for its role in enhancing insulin activity.
Amalaki also known as amla or Indian Gooseberry, belongs to a group of herbs described in Ayurvedic texts as rasayana. According to Ayurveda, rasayana herbs promote longevity, induce nourishment, and prevent the effects of aging. Modern science has been equally fascinated by Amalaki. One study even referred to it as “the Ayurvedic wonder,” as it supports everything from digestion to elimination, immunity, and inner and outer skin health.
Beet Cleanse is an all-natural proprietary formula consisting of organic beetroot, organic fenugreek seed, organic cassia (cinnamon) bark and shilajit extract. It is designed to support the pancreatic and bile ducts and encourage the clearing of congested bile. It also supports digestive strength, healthy blood sugar, and lipid levels already within a normal range. Bile flow is critical to optimal health, digestion, fat burning, and detox. Beet Cleanse is designed to decongest bile ducts, increase bile flow and reset healthy fat metabolism in the body.*