Recipe used and adapted with permission from The Kitchen Ecosystem by Eugenia Bone.
Makes 4 servings. Use Jonathans, Granny Smiths, or Galas in this recipe, or you can use applesauce.
In This Article
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 4 cups finely sliced red cabbage (1 small head)
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples or 1 pint applesauce
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot, melt the ghee over medium heat.
- Add the cabbage, cover, and cook until the cabbage is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the apples, bay leaf, cloves, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook until the apples are hot and tender, 3 to 4 minutes longer