Researchers have found that when milk is taken before bed, the milk’s bio-active peptides:
- Support deep healthy sleep (1)
- Support restorative sleep (1)
- Promote relaxation needed for sleep (2)
- Support a healthy stress response (5)
Ancient Recipe ~ Validated by Science
Certain peptides, or proteins, in milk have been shown to activate the brain’s GABA receptors which support healthy sleep cycles, mood and stress. (2)
Ayurveda’s Healthy Sleep Recipe
According to Ayurveda, chronic or excessive stress depletes a precious substance in the body called ojas. Ojas means vigor or vitality and is said to support healthy sleep cycles.
In Ayurveda, there are certain foods and herbs that build ojas, and it all starts with milk. I realize milk is a controversial issue, but most healthy grocery stores sell non-homogenized, vat pasteurized, chemical-, antibiotic-, and hormone-free milk.
We RecommendGot Ojas? Nourish Your Vitality
Ojas Nightly Tonic Recipe
1. Add small amounts of these to one cup of milk as you slowly bring it to a boil:
- Chopped dates (1 tbsp)
- Chopped almonds (2 tsp)
- Coconut meat or flakes (1 tbsp)
- Saffron (1/2 tsp)
- Ghee (1-2 tsp)
- Cardamom (1/8 tsp)
2. Add ojas-building herbs to the milk (1/8 tsp or one 500mg capsule of each):
- Shatavari (Strength of 100 Husbands, sometimes spelled Shatawari)
- Ashwagandha (Strength of Ten Horses, sometimes spelled Ashwaganda)
3. Optional: Once the milk, herbs, and ojas-building foods and spices are cooked and off the flame, add 1 tsp of ojas-building raw honey.
Drink one cup of the ojas-building hot milk each night for 3 months to rebuild ojas levels and support healthy sleep patterns.
Don’t drink milk? You may substitute with ojas-building non-dairy milk, such as coconut or almond.
In the LifeSpa online shop, you’ll find these amazing ingredients formulated into an organic 30-day supply. Find it in the online shop under name “Ojas Nightly Tonic.”
What did you think of this recipe? Have any tips or tricks to share?