Kapha is the heaviest of the three doshas. It provides the structures and the lubrication that the body needs. Kapha provides the following functions:
- Strength and energy.
- Moistness and lubrication.
- Stability to add the necessary grounding aspect to both mind and body.
- Mass and structure to provide fullness to bodily tissues.
- Fertility and virility.
Kapha: Cold, Moist (Oily), Heavy
Water and Earth
Winter / Spring
Times of Day
6am – 10am and 6pm – 10pm
Sweet Sour, Salty / Heavy, Oily, Cold
These are the qualities of Kapha. To decrease Kapha, use less of these qualities in food, beverage and environment. For instance, eating ice cream (heavy, cold, sweet), will increase Kapha.
Pungent, Bitter, Astringent / Light, Dry, Hot
To increase and balance excess Kapha, use more of these qualities in food, beverage and environment.
- Large frame, heavy, easy to gain weight.
- Thick, straight / wavy, oily hair.
- Oily, moist, pale, white skin.
- Large eyes, whites of eyes are glossy and white.
- Medium to large, white and strong teeth.
- Slow and steady walking pace.
- Excellent strength and endurance.
- Calm, steady disposition, long term memory, low pitch / resonating voice.
- Steady non-changing moods, slow to get irritated, very understanding, easy-going.
- Can miss a meal easily, digestion can be a little slow; elimination is heavy, slow, thick and regular.
- Aversion to damp and cold weather.
- Prefers dry food and eats slowly.
- Saves money regularly and accumulates wealth.
- Strong sex drive.
- Sound, heavy and long sleep, dreams of water, clouds and romance.