Average Reading Time: 2 minutes and 12 seconds
Gallbladder symptoms are often hard to diagnose because it is an organ that never complains. The symptoms only show up down the road in some other organ. Healing your gallbladder can prevent a host of other problems.
Your gallbladder is a vital organ that stores concentrated bile to be able to help digest good fats, process bad fats and toxins, maintain healthy bowel movements and buffer the digestive acids from the stomach. (1,2) Over time, if the liver becomes congested as a result of toxins, stress, or poor diet and elimination, the bile in the gallbladder can become thick, viscous and congested. (3-5) This affects its ability to work optimally, and ultimately influences our ability to digest and detoxify while supporting healthy weight, mood, and overall health and vitality. (2,6-8)
If you answer yes to one or more of these questions below, your liver or gallbladder may need support:
- Do you ever get nauseous after a meal?
- Do you ever feel heavy after a high-fat meal?
- Do you ever get occasional heartburn after a meal?
- Do you have trouble digesting wheat, dairy, soy corn or nuts?
- Do you ever have sluggish, green, or greasy stools?
- Do you have a history of any gallbladder problems?
The recommendations in this article are to keep your gallbladder healthy and strong, and are not intended for someone who has had their gallbladder removed. Keep an eye out for an upcoming article on food and lifestyle tips for if you have had your gallbladder removed.
Recipes for Gallbladder Health
Beet Tonic Recipe
- 1 fresh beet, peeled and grated
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 Tbsp. flax oil
- Combine all ingredients.
- Take 1 beet’s worth of this salad daily for 2-4 weeks.
- Mix 1 Tbsp. whole flaxseeds into 2 ½ cups water.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer for one hour.
- Use a strainer to separate the seeds from the liquid.
- Drink 1 cup each day on an empty stomach.
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 medium zucchini
- ½ lb. green beans
- 5 stalks celery
- Steam all ingredients for 8-10 minutes, and then mix in blender. You can add a little warm water.
- Drink 1-3 per day as a meal or with meals, as needed for gallbladder pain and/or to optimize gallbladder function.
- Options for more flavor: Try adding a steamed apple and fresh lemon juice. Or you can try adding garlic and ginger with low sodium vegetable broth. Avocados add a nice creamy texture as well.
Apple a Day
Consume at least one apple a day after meals to increase bile flow. Apples have high amounts of malic acid which help to open up and dilate the bile ducts.
>>> For more information about how to cleanse your liver, thin your bile and strengthen your gallbladder…
We RecommendSurprising Symptoms of Poor Digestion
Herbal Support for Gallbladder Health
- Read up on Beet Cleanse to decongest the bile ducts.
- Read up on Liver Repair to increase the liver’s production of bile and support healthy elimination.
- Read up on Turmeric Plus to support liver and intestinal health.
Foods List for Gallbladder Health
|Foods to Avoid||Foods to Increase|
This article was originally published January 9, 2009. It was updated and republished August 15, 2015.